Application error: a client-side exception has occurred (see the browser console for more information)

Everything else works except the message page. How can I sell my stuff if I can’t see any replies. It only started when I deleted messages from someone who wasn’t willing to meet my asking price. Please help.

I’m sorry to hear you are experiencing some issues accessing your messages box Mike, I can certainly help you troubleshoot. I will have to run a browser diagnostic test to determine what may be causing the issue. The easiest way to see what the problem might be is to click on the following link from your desktop: https://www.whatismybrowser.com/

This links provides all of the information about your specific computer. The information we’re most concerned about can be found near the top of the page, in the “Your Web Browser’s Capabilities” section.

I am having this exact same issue. This error message is coming up when I use edge or google chrome and I am unable to see if anybody is messaging. I tried clearing all the cache and putting in the usernames and passwords again but theproblem persists. Has been like this for the last day or two.

Weird Fix!
I think something went wrong when I deleted a message in the message window. The potential buyer didn’t want to buy on my terms so to avoid confusion at my end I deleted his messages. After doing that the page would no longer load, only that an error had occurred. I managed to fix it by having a friend reply to my ad as if she were interested and left a short message. After that I checked and everything seems fine now. I will leave her reply there so I don’t break it again. There must be a problem with the coding that operates that particular page…just spitballing but it would be worthwhile to do some testing. Thank you for your prompt reply. Cheers!

1 Like

FWIW: I posted a few days ago re. a very similar issue. (My wife and I got the same error when trying to view our Messages pages; problem “resolved” by us PM-ing each other to get Messages working again.) I was told that it has been referred to Tech Support. Fingers crossed… :crossed_fingers: (For some reason my post was removed upon referral. Weird.)

1 Like

Hello @Mike_Shaw

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your messaging concerns on Kijiji. We truly appreciate your patience and the opportunity to assist you in ensuring a seamless and positive experience on our platform.

I’ve thoroughly reviewed your account and I’m pleased to inform you that there are no apparent issues that would impede your ability to receive messages. To further investigate this matter, I’ve taken the liberty of sending you a test message.

To ensure we resolve this issue comprehensively, I kindly request that you check the following locations for the test message:

  1. Your email account: Please check your inbox, spam folder, and deleted items.
  2. Kijiji Mobile App: Please log in to the app on your phone or tablet and navigate to the Chat section at the bottom of the screen.
  3. Kijiji Website: Please visit www.kijiji.ca, log in, and check the message bubble at the top of the page.

Once you’ve completed these steps, I would greatly appreciate if you could respond to the test message and then reply to this email. Please inform me where you were able to locate the message, or if you encountered any difficulties in finding it.

Your feedback is invaluable to us and will help us ensure that your Kijiji experience meets the high standards we strive to maintain. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out. We are committed to providing you with exceptional support every step of the way.

Thank you for being a valued member of the Kijiji community. We look forward to continuing to serve you and enhance your experience on our platform.

Hello @WPG

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your messaging concerns on Kijiji. We truly appreciate your patience and the opportunity to assist you in ensuring a seamless and positive experience on our platform.

I’ve thoroughly reviewed your account and I’m pleased to inform you that there are no apparent issues that would impede your ability to receive messages. To further investigate this matter, I’ve taken the liberty of sending you a test message.

To ensure we resolve this issue comprehensively, I kindly request that you check the following locations for the test message:

  1. Your email account: Please check your inbox, spam folder, and deleted items.
  2. Kijiji Mobile App: Please log in to the app on your phone or tablet and navigate to the Chat section at the bottom of the screen.
  3. Kijiji Website: Please visit www.kijiji.ca, log in, and check the message bubble at the top of the page.

Once you’ve completed these steps, I would greatly appreciate if you could respond to the test message and then reply to this email. Please inform me where you were able to locate the message, or if you encountered any difficulties in finding it.

Your feedback is invaluable to us and will help us ensure that your Kijiji experience meets the high standards we strive to maintain. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out. We are committed to providing you with exceptional support every step of the way.

Thank you for being a valued member of the Kijiji community. We look forward to continuing to serve you and enhance your experience on our platform.

Hello @eljayottawa

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your messaging concerns on Kijiji. We truly appreciate your patience and the opportunity to assist you in ensuring a seamless and positive experience on our platform.

I’ve thoroughly reviewed your account and I’m pleased to inform you that there are no apparent issues that would impede your ability to receive messages. To further investigate this matter, I’ve taken the liberty of sending you a test message.

To ensure we resolve this issue comprehensively, I kindly request that you check the following locations for the test message:

  1. Your email account: Please check your inbox, spam folder, and deleted items.
  2. Kijiji Mobile App: Please log in to the app on your phone or tablet and navigate to the Chat section at the bottom of the screen.
  3. Kijiji Website: Please visit www.kijiji.ca, log in, and check the message bubble at the top of the page.

Once you’ve completed these steps, I would greatly appreciate if you could respond to the test message and then reply to this email. Please inform me where you were able to locate the message, or if you encountered any difficulties in finding it.

Your feedback is invaluable to us and will help us ensure that your Kijiji experience meets the high standards we strive to maintain. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out. We are committed to providing you with exceptional support every step of the way.

Thank you for being a valued member of the Kijiji community. We look forward to continuing to serve you and enhance your experience on our platform.

Hi. The problem isn’t receiving message, the problem is being able to access the Message page when there are no messages in it.

I got your test message, which meant I had two: One from you, one from my wife. I deleted yours and I could still access the Messages page. Then I deleted hers and I got kicked out with the same error message (“Application error: a client-side exception has occurred (see the browser console for more information).”).

I went into Gmail, found the email that was sent when you PM’d me, and replied to it. This revived the PM and now I could access the Messages page again. Then I deleted the PM and I got kicked out with the same error message.

I hope this helps to further clarify what the actual problem is.

Thanks for your continued assistance,

Larry (eljayottawa).

Hello @eljayottawa

As far as I can tell - you still have access to messages because I receive this message:

Seller:

FYI, I deleted your PM and I could still access Messages because I still had my wife’s PM there. Then I deleted her PM and I immediately got kicked out with that same error message.

Message Id: e56e2158-bc3e-11f1-b88f-470bb014f43c · Received: 2026-09-29 13:49

This was sent after you deleted the other message.

I am going to suggest that you stop deleting messages for now.

Hello @Mike_Shaw

I have recreated this issue and sent it to our tech team for fixing.

For now it appears this issue with messaging only affects the application.

I have two work arounds:

  1. Do not delete any messages through the app for the next several days.

  2. If you do - use www.kijiji.ca to check your messages until this is corrected.

Hello @WPG

I have recreated this issue and sent it to our tech team for fixing.

For now it appears this issue with messaging only affects the application.

I have two work arounds:

  1. Do not delete any messages through the app for the next several days.

  2. If you do - use www.kijiji.ca to check your messages until this is corrected.

Hello @eljayottawa

I have recreated this issue and sent it to our tech team for fixing.

For now it appears this issue with messaging only affects the application.

I have two work arounds:

  1. Do not delete any messages through the app for the next several days.

  2. If you do - use www.kijiji.ca to check your messages until this is corrected.

:wrench: CONFIRMED: Trigger & workaround for the “Client-Side Exception” Messages error

I’ve been dealing with “Application error: a client-side exception has occurred” when clicking the Messages icon. After extensive testing, here are my findings:

What does NOT fix it:

  • Clearing cache, incognito/private mode, disabling ad blockers
  • Updating Chrome, switching browsers (Chrome, Edge, Firefox)
  • Deleting the listing tied to the triggering conversation (I deleted my “Shaw HDPVR receivers” ad — no change)

What DOES work (confirmed repeatedly):

  • Having someone send me a new message on a listing makes the Messages page load and function normally.
  • I can reply, click away, come back to the Messages icon, and open the conversation — no error — as long as that message stays in my inbox.

The trigger:

  • When I previously deleted that incoming message, the error returned immediately and the Messages page crashed again on the next click.
  • This matches other reports here where the problem began after deleting a message/conversation.

Conclusion: deleting a message/conversation in Messages appears to corrupt/break the Messages page (React #130 / “Cancel rendering route” crash) so it can’t render the conversation list afterward. Keeping a live/unread-style message present keeps it functional.

Advice for others: if you get a fix working via a new incoming message, do NOT delete it — keep it in your inbox to keep Messages functional until the real fix is released.

Repro path for Tech Support: new message works → delete that message

Hello @Steve14

Hello @Steve14

I have recreated this issue and sent it to our tech team for fixing.

For now it appears this issue with messaging only affects the application.

I have two work arounds:

  1. Do not delete any messages through the app for the next several days.

  2. If you do - use www.kijiji.ca to check your messages until this is corrected.

Hello @Mike_Shaw

We now have bulletin for this issue:

Hello @WPG

We now have bulletin for this issue:

Hello @eljayottawa

We now have bulletin for this issue:

1 Like

Hello @Steve14

We now have bulletin for this issue:

And I just got a message that everything should be fixed.

Please try Logging out of Kijiji and then Logging back in.

Please let us know if there are still any issues.

1 Like